hurdextras-hackers

Re: [Hurdextras-hackers] Users guide patch

From: Tom Hart
Subject: Re: [Hurdextras-hackers] Users guide patch
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:57:22 -0600

James A Morrison wrote:
 Hey,

  I've read through some more of the users guide.  It's looking good.  Anyway,
here is a patch that cleans up the lines lengths and such.  I will also
start a changelog (C-x 4 a, in emacs) if/when this gets commited.

Thanks. Your changes look good. =)

Note to self: sizeof(Emacs window in 1280x1024 screen in X) != 80 characters ;)

  Something documentors should read while documenting GNU projects is the
GNU Coding Standards[1], they do have a documentation section.

Will do.

        * using_gnuhurd.texi (An Introduction to Texinfo): Point the reader
        to info info and info texinfo.
        (Basic CVS Usage): Pass the reader to info cvs.

I agree with you to the extent that these should be referred to for further reference, but I think that a short intro is important. The size of the infrastructure of Free Software is large enough that I think an "Introduction to the System" manual such as this should give the reader enough information so that they can get by for the time being.

For example, I think that it's reasonable for this manual to translate a line like

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/hurd login

(From the Hurd Hacking Guide) into English. For further iformation... info cvs.

Also, this manual may be downloaded by people who don't have a 24-7 connection to the Internet, and don't yet have access to a working Unix-like system (which was me a year-and-a-half ago). So I'd like to add a brief intro to these sections.

  /  Tom Hart                                      |
 |   address@hidden                          |
  \  "rmTFM - Build consistent interfaces."        |