Re: Print brace, clef and key signature at start of Coda separated by bl

From: Vlado Ilić
Subject: Re: Print brace, clef and key signature at start of Coda separated by blank space
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:15:43 +0200

Thank you both, it works great!

I had some huge scheme code before v2.24 that i found on maillist, but it stopped working on v2.24, so i had to disable it.
And since I've converted old scores to new \repeat segno structure, i hoped that now there is a easy way of doing it, but now i know it's still a complex matter.

Now if i understand correctly, this code only handles start brace, but cross-staff vertical line is drawn manually with markup?

I've actually did it similarly with markup:

\version "2.24.1"

upper = {
  \key as \minor
  c'1
  \stopStaff
  s1*4
  \once \omit Staff.BarLine
  \once \omit PianoStaff.SpanBar
  \startStaff
  \once \set Staff.forceClef = ##t
  \once \override Staff.Clef.full-size-change = ##t
  \once \override Staff.Clef.extra-offset = #'(0.8 . 0)
  \override PianoStaff.KeySignature.extra-offset = #'(-0.7 . 0)
  \key as \minor
  \override TextScript.X-offset = #-15.33
  \override TextScript.Y-offset = #1.945
  \section
  \sectionLabel "Coda"
  c'1^\markup { \lower #6.5
    \override #'(font-encoding . fetaBraces)
    \lookup "brace179"
    \hspace #-0.2
    \override #'(line-cap-style . square)
    \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0)
    \override #'(thickness . 2)
    \draw-line #'(0 . -12.875)
  }
  \bar "|."
}

lower = {
  \key as \minor
  c'1
  \stopStaff
  s1*4
  \once \omit Staff.BarLine
  \startStaff
  \once \set Staff.forceClef = ##t
  \once \override Staff.Clef.full-size-change = ##t
  \once \override Staff.Clef.extra-offset = #'(0.8 . 0)
  \key as \minor
  \section
  \sectionLabel "Coda"
  c'1
  \bar "|."
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff
  <<
    \new Staff = "upper" \upper
    \new Staff = "lower" \lower

}

but it is a manual positioning nightmare, any slight change can get it misaligned.

пет, 18. авг 2023. у 16:35 Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> је написао/ла:
Oops: I am so sorry, Jean. Must work out how to turn AutoCorrect off, or actually read messages before I send them.

Apologies, once again

No worries, I didn't take it personally, I was just amused at seeing *yet another* spelling for my name :)

(You're far from the only one misspelling or misunderstanding my name on the Internet or in real life, I've had Abou Sarra, Abou Sanra, Abou Samba, etc. etc. People also think I'm "Jean-Abou Samra" or "Jean A. Samra" instead of "Jean" "Abou Samra", which is understandable given cultural differences… At least don't suffer from encoding misfortunes, unlike those with an Ł, Ö or É in their name...)

Anyway, Vlado: the solution Alex gave is indeed among the simplest ones devised so far for this problem. It's unfortunately not really simple, but at least it works. There is also

https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=198

with a simpler variant where there are no system start braces to replicate (those are the main source of complexity).

There have been various talks of enabling this with built-in commands over the years, and I even started work on it at some point, but it was not quite simple.