Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 10:57:48 +0200

Le samedi 07 octobre 2023 à 17:46 +0100, Ian West a écrit :
Was there a version (or a build) of 2.20.0 that ran on 64 bit machines? Some say there was not; I think there was and that I used it.

Well, at some point there was an *unofficial* build of 2.20 around as a workaround for the lack of an official build. https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder/-/releases

This unofficial build was not available for 2.22.

Official builds came with 2.23.6, as I said earlier.

Beyond this last question I am done. I shall revert to using 2.18 on a old MacBook that still words; transferriing output to the 64-bit M2 machine for midi and for printing.

Obviously, I am not going to recommend this ­— especially since if you ever need help, nobody is going to have LilyPond 2.18 around to check that the code they post to help you works in that version. (Version 2.18 was released 10 years ago, which is an eternity in software time scales.)

Your choice is yours, but I honestly don't understand your reluctance towards Frescobaldi. If you simply ignore the extra features, it works just like the old minimalistic editor.

Regards,
Jean