Switching between one staff and two

From: Evan Driscoll
Subject: Switching between one staff and two
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 01:12:45 -0500

Something that I always have trouble with (I'm only an occasional Lilypond user) is writing parts that switch from one staff to two and back, and getting that so it's correct. If there's a relevant section of the manual I have a hard time finding it, and I often find problems when adapting previous times I've dealt with this.

I've pasted some example code after my signature I'm having trouble with. Can anyone help me solve these problems:
More generally, this is an area where I feel I never know what I'm doing and just throw stuff at the compiler until it works well enough, and then I give up. Is there some fundamental knowledge that I seem to be missing here? Something I've not been able to find in the manual?

(Also, LilyBin doesn't seem to be a thing any more. Is there any replacement? I'm not turning something up.)

Thanks,
Evan

\version "2.20.0"
\language "english"