[MIT-Scheme-devel] Beginner problem using Edwin on Windows

From: Bruce Turner
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Beginner problem using Edwin on Windows
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:40:49 +0000

Greetings! venerable MIT/GNU Scheme developers,

I am having trouble in working out how to use Edwin to edit a file. I am using Windows XP.

I cannot see anything in the documentation that suggests that Edwin is not usable with Windows. I click on the Edwin icon and am presented with a window which includes the REPL prompt, 1 ]=>. I assume that this is REPL Mode. The line "Edwin 3.112" is included in the preamble, so it would appear that Edwin is running. I am unable to work out how to get to Scheme Mode. I am able to evaluate Scheme expressions, and I am able to load a file created with another editor. If I include '-*-Scheme-*-' at the beginning of the file, loading the file prints the instructions in the file rather than evaluating them. I cannot cut or paste, or use the back arrow. I cannot use any of the Meta commands (If I press alt-x, for instance, I just print the character 'o' with a bar through it; ctrl-h merely prints an 'h'). The only screenshot that I found for Edwin shows a split screen window which has informative lines at the bottom of each screen, very much like Emacs. My window does not have any informative lines at the bottom. There are no drop-down menus on the window.

Your comments would be welcome,

Regards,
Bruys

Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search now! www.seek.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Nov06&_m=EXT