[MIT-Scheme-devel] new microcode identification slots for C back end

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] new microcode identification slots for C back end
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 04:02:34 +0000

Someone recently (well, a month ago) asked me to add a microcode
identification slot for the type of compiler back end used (i.e.
whether it is none, native, or C), which sounds reasonable.  I'm also
considering adding another couple of slots for the C compiler options
the C linker options, so that we could isolate their detection to the
microcode's configuration script and remove any hard-coded,
OS-dependent tables from compiler/machines/C/ctop.scm.  On the other
hand, it would make the microcode binaries undistributable to systems
with different C compilers or C linkers from those on the system where
the microcode was built; however, the issue would still be somewhat
alleviated by the flexibility in configuration detection instead of
having a hard-coded table.

Thoughts?