[MIT-Scheme-devel] liarc object file type

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] liarc object file type
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:31:51 +0000

Currently, we generate `.dylib' files on OS X and `.sl' files on HP-UX
(if that is ever still used anywhere), but `.so' files everywhere
else.  Is it actually important to use a different file type on
different hosts?  It only complicates scripts to build, install, and
clean, which have to know based on the host operating system what file
type the relevant files will be; I don't know whether anything
actually relies on using `.dylib' on OS X -- it works just as well to
use `.so', even if it's unconventional in the context.