Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] binaries

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] binaries
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:30:55 +0000

   Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:44:36 -0500
   From: Dan Starr <address@hidden>

   QUESTION:  When using the Portable C version, is it necessary at all to
   install a binary first?  I take it that the Portable C simply
   overwrites it if itÂ’s there, no?

You need a binary installation to bootstrap it from scratch (i.e.
CVS), but not from the distribution tarball.  The former involves
running the compiler to generate C files from Scheme files; the latter
already includes the necessary C files.

   QUESTION: How should I best save my own binaries?  Should I do the
   whole "make install" and then save the lib/ and bin/ directories?  Is
   there a shell in there already that does this?

We use the `v7/etc/make-*-files' scripts in CVS to build the clean
distribution tarballs.  When testing things from CVS involving
bootstrapping, I install into some random destination directory with
`make install DESTDIR=...'.

   Having done this, would you appreciate a PowerPC build, or a
   MacBook build?  Would be a piece of cake.

Actually, we already have them...  (I told 'em we already got one!
*pfftphthtph*)  We don't yet have a Leopard build, but that's
primarily because I have yet to install Leopard, and I'm mildly
paranoid about rushing to OS upgrades.