[MIT-Scheme-devel] problem building scheme

From: Huston Bokinsky
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] problem building scheme
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 02:34:28 -0500

Hi,

Can anyone help me out with this problem?  I am trying to install MIT Scheme on a Linux box running a Linux From Scratch system -- no graphic desktop and no ready-made binary compatibility.  For this reason I am trying to build Scheme from the source code, following the instructions on this page: http://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/other-unix.html.

The instructions have me untar the source package, go to ~/src/microcode, then run the configure and compile programs.  At this point, there is supposed to be a file ~/mit-scheme-native which will be copied to the standard binary folder a few steps later, replacing a file of the same name that is already in the standard binary tarball, but such a file does not exist.  I am sure that I am following the instructions correctly, that I have all of the necessary development libraries for building packages, and that the md5sums on the tarballs check out correctly.  So, now for my questions:

1.  Where is the missing 'native' file, and does the missing one differ from the one that is supposed to be deleted from the standard binary ~/bin/ directory?
2.  The build instructions say
tar xzf mit-scheme-20080130-ucode.tar.gz
cd mit-scheme-c-20080130/src/microcode

Is that 'c' in the middle of mit-scheme-c-20080130 a typo? After unpacking the tarball, I still don't have any directory by this name.

3. I have another computer running Ubuntu, for which I can install from the package manager a Scheme interpreter. Is this interpreter
different from the MIT version? Enough so that I should not use it for the exercises in the _Structure and Interpretation_ book?

Thank you in advance for any attention to this query.

Huston Bokinsky

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses