[MIT-Scheme-devel] r6rs

From: Andrew McAuliffe
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] r6rs
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:36:27 +1000

Hello,

I was looking at the MIT/GNU Scheme homepage, wondering about rxrs compliance, and I saw "We also plan to finish support for R5RS, but we will not be providing support for R6RS."

I was wondering about the rational for that, so I searched all the mailing lists for an announcement explaining why r6rs was not going to be implemented, or a discussion about whether it should be implemented or not, but I found no posts that seemed to address that.

Did I miss posts explaining why in my search? Is it as simple as no one cares about r6rs and so haven't considered it? Or has it been considered and then rejected?

I have no solid opinion either way on whether MIT/GNU Scheme ought to implement r6rs. I just want to find out more about the philosophy/point-of-view about what sort of scheme MIT/GNU Scheme aims to be and how that effects the decision to not implement r6rs. Is there an explanation for the objectives of MIT/GNU Scheme in the documentation that I've missed that would explain it to me?

Thanks,
Andrew