Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] git?

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] git?
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 19:28:37 -0700

> From: Chris Hanson <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 00:13:22 -0700
>
> OK, I did a complete conversion of the CVS repo to git using cvs2svn
> 2.2.  There were no errors during the conversion.

Ummm... I think you mean "no errors were reported during the
conversion".

Some of the problem revisions (runtime/uenvir.scm revisions before
14.12) look truncated.  Revision 14.11 (commit 94543b6c) has 293 lines
instead of 544.  The other problem file, runtime/hash.scm, lost a
couple lines in revision 14.1 (commit 039bbb4d) and earlier?  I could
not access earlier revisions.  Presumably cvs2svn can, running on the
raw repository...

> I'm not very interested in supporting both CVS and git.  My
> preference would be to use git for everything from here on.  What do
> you guys think?

Whatever works for y'all.

I am definitely using git locally as I am often off-planet, with time
to do merges, or a little testing and development.  But that is just
me tracking the project (whether in CVS/git/svn/etc) going forward,
and managing my own patchsets.

Perhaps you should just make the CVS repo. readonly and leave it as a
testament to 1986-2009.  Commit the current HEAD and move forward with
git.

It would be neat if rolling back to the '80s was as convenient as a
git checkout, but this is a real can of worms.  And history is dust.