[MIT-Scheme-devel] .gitignore

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] .gitignore
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:16:19 -0700

I do not understand the .gitignore in the git repo.  It says

        C/
        LOG
        html/
        linux/
        macosx/

I have to think I am missing out on some multi-arch./build
magic.  I WAS following the build process in dist/make-dist-files.
NOW I have tried variations of "mkdir linux; cd linux;
../src/configure; ..." but nothing looks close to working.

So what's .gitignore about?  There have been no .cvsignore files in
the project so far, but that was a pain for Newbie.  The gitignore(5)
man. page suggests I can keep my idiosyncratic patterns for "auxiliary
files that live inside the repository but are specific to one user's
workflow" out of a .gitignore in the distribution.

So I am hoping to see at least one .gitignore, and understand it.

BTW, I already have

        *.orig
        configure
        config.guess
        config.log
        config.status
        config.sub
        autom4te.cache
        Makefile

in my .gitignore (patterns common to src/ and doc/), and
src/.gitignore and doc/.gitignore files too.  They clean up my `git
status' when I build right in the git working directory.  Maybe I
should be building somewhere else, like linux/?