[MIT-Scheme-devel] .gitignore

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] .gitignore
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:38:04 -0700

> From: address@hidden (Matt Birkholz)
> Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:16:19 -0700
>
> I do not understand the .gitignore in the git repo. [...]  I have to
> think I am missing out on some multi-arch./build magic.

The incantation I was missing is `lndir ../src'?

I am guessing that the multi-arch. build process looks like:

        $ mkdir linux; cd linux
        $ lndir ../src
        $ ./Setup.sh
        $ ./configure
        $ make

This makes src/, doc/, and their build directories siblings, so
something like "@verbatiminclude ../../src/..." in a manual is not
unreasonable?

> [...] [My 3(!) .gitignore files] clean up my `git status' when I
> build right in the git working directory.  Maybe I should be
> building somewhere else, like linux/?

With the lndir incantation (and $GIT_DIR/info/exclude), I am not
needing ANY .gitignore files now.