[MIT-Scheme-devel] `git diff' shows RCS keyword cruft

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] `git diff' shows RCS keyword cruft
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 22:19:56 -0700

> From: Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 21:15:02 -0400
>
> Why does `git diff' show these changes, and how can I make it stop?  I
> haven't touched the old RCS keyword lines, but `git pull' doesn't fix
> them either.

I pondered similar nonsense aloud, on this list, back in June.  I
eventually found that creating a .git/info/attributes file containing
the line: "* -ident" allowed me to use master again.  The problem only
affects heads like master that contain the new .gitattributes file.

You may have to "git reset" afterward.  ?

The problem is that the "ident" file attribute causes git-diff to see
"$Id$" where the working file says "$Id: <mumble>$".  Unfortunately
the repo's version is not similarly filtered.  (Git assumes you had no
$Id$ tag in a file when you first set the ident attribute?)  So you
can check out "$Id: <mumble> $", but the working file will not match!

I believe we need to check in (continue checking in?) diffs like these

    > -$Id: bkpt.h,v 9.40 2008/01/30 20:02:11 cph Exp $
    > +$Id$

until there are no "$Id: ... $" tags left -- until they are all
checked in with "$Id$".