Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] compiling for OS X

From: Arthur A. Gleckler
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] compiling for OS X
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:22:51 -0700

> I'll send you the transcript tonight.

I've attached the transcript.  The build fails here in "microcode/confshared.h":

  #ifndef PC_ZERO_BITS
  #  ifdef CC_IS_NATIVE
  #    include "Error: confshared.h: Unknown PC alignment."
  #  else
  #    define PC_ZERO_BITS 0
  #  endif
  #endif

My guess is that the problem is that <__IA32__> isn't defined, and
therefore <PC_ZERO_BITS> is never defined.  But when I define it, I
eventually get lots of errors like this:

  cmpaux-i386.s:188:32-bit absolute addressing is not supported for x86-64

There must be some way to force a 32-bit compile at the GCC level.
Doesn't it look like that's what's needed?

> I managed to find a machine running 10.5.8 and the build worked fine.
> That means that Snow Leopard is the cause, directly or indirectly.
> I'm hoping that the binary I just built will work fine on Snow
> Leopard.  We'll see.

The binary built on 10.5.8 works fine on Snow Leopard.