Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Re: missing "runtime-unx.c"

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Re: missing "runtime-unx.c"
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 02:27:29 -0500

   Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:09:23 -0800
   From: "Arthur A. Gleckler" <address@hidden>

   Is it actually possible to build starting with only an installed
   20090107 binary and an up-to-date Git repository?  Or does one have to
   build from a ".tgz" file for the 20090107 C release, then proceed?  I
   thought that I had built on my Mac Pro without downloading the C
   release, but neither "make-native.sh" nor "make-liarc.sh" works for me
   today on my Mac Mini.  The former seems to depends on the existence of
   <mit-scheme-c> and the latter can't find "runtime-unx.c".  But I've
   probably just forgotten that step in my current jet-lagged state.

   I need to understand our build system better.  It's black magic to
   me right now.

If you have Scheme with the X back end installed, and you want to
build Scheme with the X back end, the usual configure/make does it.  X
here may be C, i386, or x86-64.

If you have Scheme with the C back end installed, and you want to
build Scheme with a native back end, run make-native.sh.

If you have Scheme with a native back end installed, and you want to
build Scheme with the C back end, run make-liarc-dist.sh and then
make-liarc.sh.  (You can tar up the directory after make-liarc-dist.sh
and before make-liarc.sh to get a mit-scheme-c-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz tarball
pretty much as the releases contain.)

(Going from a non-C native back end to a different non-C native back
end is not automated at the moment as far as I know, although it
probably wouldn't be hard to automate.)