Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] make-eq-hash-table

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] make-eq-hash-table
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 21:49:38 -0800

I agree with most of your analysis.  Here are my comments:

*** edwin/eystep.scm, ynode-regions

What are the keys to these hash tables?  I don't know how long they
persist.

****************
The keys are stepper nodes; they are stored in a text property and
consequently will be held appropriately.  This should be a weak table.

*** edwin/win32.scm, event-handlers

The keys in EVENT-HANDLERS are integers.  I think this should be a
key-strong eqv hash table rather than a key-weak eq hash table.

****************
For numbers, it doesn't matter, but strong is slightly lower overhead.

*** edwin/xterm.scm, symbol->x-atom table in display/cached-atom-tables

Whether this should be key-strong or key-weak depends on whether the
set of atoms that it will map is arbitrarily large.

****************
This table should be strong.

*** xml/xhtml-entities.scm, table in html-char->name-map

The keys in the table inside HTML-CHAR->NAME-MAP is keyed by
characters.  Should this be a key-strong eqv hash table rather than a
key-weak eq hash table?

Again, it doesn't matter, but strong is lower overhead.

*** xml/xml-names.scm

This is hairy: part of it looks like it needs to be datum-weak, but we
don't have that now.  But someone more familiar with the XML name
abstraction should review this.

All three tables should be weak.