[MIT-Scheme-devel] "Can't find any usable display type"

From: Steve Quezadas
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] "Can't find any usable display type"
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:43:22 -0700

I just installed mit-scheme on my ubuntu hardy hardon system. I can't load the edwin editor for some reason. This is the first time I tried to load it, so I manually typed "(create-editor)" on the commandline and I got this respone:
> 1 ]=> (create-editor)
>
> ;Can't find any usable display type
> ;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:
> ; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.

Weird. . .

I try loading the editor manually, by typing "edit" and this is what I get:
> 1 ]=> edit
>
> ;Value 13: #[compiled-procedure 13 ("editor" #x1) #x1a #x14ba71a]

My "TERM" environment variable is either "xterm" or "linux" depending on the context. They both don't work. I couldn't find anything in the documentation about this problem, or on google.

- Steve