[MIT-Scheme-devel] Bug: Poor error message; maybe a sign of something wo

From: Alexey Radul
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Bug: Poor error message; maybe a sign of something worse?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:19:55 +0100

Hello all,

Problem: Compiling the enclosed Scheme source file produces a
mystifying error message from the compiler:

  MIT/GNU Scheme running under GNU/Linux
  Type `^C' (control-C) followed by `H' to obtain information about interrupts.

  Copyright (C) 2010 Massachusetts Institute of Technology

  Image saved on Friday October 22, 2010 at 10:34:49 AM
    Release 9.0.1     || Microcode 15.2 || Runtime 15.7 || SF 4.41
    LIAR/x86-64 4.118 || Edwin 3.116

  1 ]=> (cf "hairball")

  ;Generating SCode for file: "hairball.scm" => "hairball.bin"... done
  ;Compiling file: "hairball.bin" => "hairball.com"...
  ;The object 66577, passed as the second argument to
unsigned-integer->bit-string, is not in the correct range.
  ;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:
  ; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.

  2 error>

Expected behavior: Ideally, the compiler would successfully compile
the enclosed file; I believe it to be correct -- in particular, the
interpreter runs it without incident -- though I would not stake my
reputation on the absence of errors in it.  Failing that, however, I
would wish the error message to be more informative.  Is this a
manifestation of a limitation on the maximum size of basic block that
the x86-64 code generator is willing to emit?

Context: I'm using MIT Scheme as the target of a prototype compiler,
and it generated the enclosed loveliness, on which MIT Scheme failed
in the above way.

Cheers,
~Alexey Radul