[MIT-Scheme-devel] Cannot start Edwin

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Cannot start Edwin
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:37:57 -0700

> From: Visar Zejnullahu <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 02:51:45 +0100
>
> Hi, I'm new to Scheme, and I have a problem starting Edwin.
>
> [...] I tried starting Edwin using the command: scheme -edwin -edit
> (http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/ftpdir/scheme-7.5/7.5.17/doc-html/user_8.html#SEC60
> and
> http://www.cs.rpi.edu/academics/courses/fall99/ai/scheme/scheme.html#running)

This might be more up-to-date:

http://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/documentation/mit-scheme-user/Starting-Edwin.html

Yet your ancient commandline is still supported.

> but all I got is standalone Scheme, and no Edwin, just as if I typed
> scheme or mit-scheme only, like in:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/documentation/mit-scheme-user/Basics-of-Starting-Scheme.html#Basics-of-Starting-Scheme

Do these lines appear during compile-microcode?

    checking for X... no
    checking ncurses.h usability... no
    checking curses.h usability... no
    checking term.h usability... no
    checking termcap.h usability... no
    configure: WARNING: No termcap library found; will emulate it

Have you installed all of the developer's packages needed to build
shared libraries linked to libX11.so and/or ncurses/termcap?