Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Very curious problem

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Very curious problem
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:57:32 -0700

> From: Joe Marshall <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:35:04 -0800
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Matt Birkholz
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > So I hacked compile.sh [...]
> >
> > This strategy allows today's master (48c535b) to be built correctly
> > using 9.1.1 -- no hand-made compiler-band.com necessary.  Perhaps it
> > will fix your problem too...
>
> I've been trying very carefully to avoid changing things that would
> make this necessary.  All of us on the devel list can fairly easily
> figure out the steps needed to bootstrap an incompatible upgrade,
> but I figure there may be other users out there that simply download
> the code on occasion and type make.

So... my patch was unnecessary, BUT helpful for a newbie?  It did not
solve your infinite loop problem?

Are you saying the extra work now done by compile.sh is NOT worthwhile
even if it allows newbie to build from source THIS time?

> Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the problem when I moved some of
> the compiler data from the `node alist' to a slot in the node itself,
> so I wrote the note to aid people that might have gotten stuck.

I don't suppose we can avoid the problem in general, so your note is
bound to be helpful.  I just thought it was crazy to continue building
a new compiler with the old compiler present.

The LIAR/C build MUST take this precaution, yet it also stopped
working mid-January.  When I hacked compile-boot-compiler.sh like
compile.sh I was able to build it with 9.1.1.  I guess the problem was
an incompatibility between the old sf (and/or runtime) and the new
compiler.