Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] installation problem

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] installation problem
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:49:20 +0000

   Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 17:49:10 +0000
   From: Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden>

      Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:49:22 +0100
      From: Mark Tranter <address@hidden>

      I get an error message telling me that confshared.h is missing.
      However when I look in /src/microcode the file does seem to be there.

   Can you show a transcript of the output, and attach
   microcode/config.log?

Never mind about that -- it's not actually a missing file; it's just
that before `#error' became popular we used `#include "Error: foo"' to
report compile-time errors.

Probably nobody has ever tried to run MIT Scheme on ARM before,
although it seems it's been run on every other architecture on the
planet.  Try the attached patch -- enter mit-scheme-c-9.1.1 and run

patch -p1 < /path/to/mit-scheme-arm.patch

before starting up etc/make-liarc.sh again.

But beware that the C build requires a lot of RAM, and it wouldn't
surprise me if the Raspberry Pi doesn't have enough to manage it.  I
think when I last used liarc, which was on a PowerPC, I needed at
least 512 MB of RAM.  I just kicked it off on a BeagleBone out of
curiosity, and I'll probably see results or an out-of-memory failure
in a few hours...