Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] help with tracing

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] help with tracing
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:16:16 -0700

> From: Catonano <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:19:32 +0100
>
> [...]
> I just wanted to provide sensory proof of the substitution model.

Did you try Dr.Scheme / Racket?  I've heard they can generate some
very nice diagrams of Scheme machine states.

> And by the way, I feel it's important to instill mechanical
> automatism in them,

I did an Internet search on "mechanical automatism" but usage seems
all over the map.  ?

> as it could turn out to be useful, should they ever run into formal
> study of the lambda calculus. Or even into informal attempts at
> comprehension.

Is the lambda calculus mechanical?  I thought it was symbolic
translation (a castle of cards), like any algebra.

I wouldn't worry that your elementals will run into formal study of
the lambda calculus.  30 years ago, when the lambda calculus was
considerably younger, I couldn't find a class at MIT devoted to it.
Turing machines: yes.  Lambda calculus: no.

> It's just a matter of being honest to disciples !

By "honest" you mean "perspicuous"?

You aim to "instill" an "-ism" in "disciples"?  You're creeping me
out, dude. :-}