Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] eqv? and eqv-hash disagree on empty vectors

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] eqv? and eqv-hash disagree on empty vectors
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 12:51:44 -0800

The problem here is that the example of empty-vector equivalence isn't clear about why the equivalence is unspecified. Is it because they are literals? Or because they're empty? I'm pretty sure the intention is the former, but there's still an ambivalence.

Everything else is consistent in saying that empty vectors are not eqv? unless they happen to have the same memory address. Which is not the case here: we're deliberately equating empty vectors because they are functionally equivalent, and apparently this is not permitted by R7RS (modulo the ambivalence).

I think that the interpretation of empty vectors as eqv? is a valid point of view, despite the standards. That said, our implementation should adhere to the standards.