[MIT-Scheme-devel] Installing on OpenBSD from portable C

From: Pavan Maddamsetti
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Installing on OpenBSD from portable C
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 14:09:58 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to build MIT Scheme from the portable C sources on
OpenBSD/amd64 6.1. The MD5 checksum for the downloaded archive is
correct. After extracting the files, I went into the src directory and
ran ./etc/make-liarc.sh.

There was an error with the <signal.h> defines SI_ASYNCIO and SI_MESGQ
missing; I filled in fake values for these in the appropriate system
header and continued forward.

The build then failed in the "compile-microcode" step with the
following message:

"make: don't know how to make ../runtime/runtime-unx.c (prerequisite
of: compinit.c)"

If I try to run the script again, after the half finished build, it says:

"*** Error in ./etc/make-liarc.sh

This script should be run only in a distribution of MIT/GNU Scheme
prepared for portable C code, from the top-level `src/' directory.
To prepare the distribution, run etc/make-liarc-dist.sh from that
directory."

The make-liarc-dist.sh script says it needs an existing MIT/GNU Scheme
installation to function.

Googling for "runtime-unx.c" leads me to the previous mailing list
posting,
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mit-scheme-devel/2009-12/msg00004.html.
I found this discussion confusing and did not understand how it might
help solve my problem.

Any help would be appreciated.