Re: `read' is now >200x slower than under 9.2 and 10.1.10.

From: Arthur A. Gleckler
Subject: Re: `read' is now >200x slower than under 9.2 and 10.1.10.
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 09:08:50 -0700

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 12:07 AM Chris Hanson <address@hidden> wrote:
Interesting. Every time the reader is called it creates a hash table, but inserting it into the population of address-hash tables requires scanning the population to determine if it’s already there.

Aha!

I’ll generate an alternative for the situation where the object being added is known to be new, thus avoiding the scan, and change the hash table implementation to use it. I’ll check other uses as well.

Thank you so much.  All of my code that uses read is fast again.