edwin removal : a possibility?

From: mayuresh
Subject: edwin removal : a possibility?
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 13:39:23 +0100

I am very new here, so I apologise upfront if this has been discussed before.

I have been a "vi" (not "Vim") user since 1997 and only now that I've
encountered MIT Scheme's embedded "edwin" code editor that I've taken to
learning the "emacs" approach, that too using the tutorial provided with "mg"
(due to it's succinctness), to be followed by the "edwin" tutorial to learn
about features specific to MIT Scheme.

Just wondered why would MIT Scheme continue to bundle "edwin" if GNU provides
"GNU Emacs" which I believe is more fully featured than "edwin". I don't much
know about the "emacs" way yet, but isn't there some means to provide MIT
Scheme specific support within GNU Emacs?
If GNU Emacs can support MIT Scheme specific tooling, what could be the
possible need to continue supporting "edwin"?
Wouldn't removal of "edwin" shrink the MIT Scheme bundle?

Best regards,

~Mayuresh