RE: Sequencer / Tracker

From: David O'Toole
Subject: RE: Sequencer / Tracker
Date: Mon Jul 29 16:23:02 2002

> A sequencer is basically a syncronized evnt sender right. so, why not write
> an general "event sender" ( not a end user machine only a core engine, ie an
> API) and let the editing/User Interface of that be controlled by a whole new
> Familiy of plugins: pattern editors, piano roll editors ( and others that
> could appear) ?
>
> This aproximation for example , permits easy creation of auto sequencers
> like arpegiators, dynamic pad sequencers,etc
>
> Graphically would be that way ( aprox)

[details snipped]

Right on target! In other words, the sequencing core is general and based
only on math and event lists. Basically I want to turn the view/editor of
a sequence into a plugin so that different types of sequence editing are
possible. Particularly with drum programming, some of the more academic
music systems offer interesting views of sequencing (for instance with
different icons representing different samples... kick, snare, etc.)

I like your idea about auto-sequencers... something I hadn't considered,
but seems relatively straightforward. Cool.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden