parallel

Re: Use of Vagrant in tests poses licencing question

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Use of Vagrant in tests poses licencing question
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:01:20 +0100

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 4:23 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

:
>   > Since there are no licensing issues using 2.3.7, I will continue to use
> that.
>
> Thanks.  With that policy, GNU Parallel has no actual problem in its code.
> Would you please state that decision explicitly in GNU Parallel,
> perhaps in the README or wherever people building it will see it?

I am building a script that installs and sets up all the requirements
needed to run the testsuite, so I think this would be the right place
to have this.

I think a solution that adheres to POLA would be to check if Vagrant
is installed and if not install version 2.3.7.

> Is there a place that distributes Vagrant 2.3.7's tar ball
> without requiring the user to run Javascript code?  You could link to that.

The binary is on: https://releases.hashicorp.com/vagrant/2.3.7/ which
I probably would use in the script above.

However, https://releases.hashicorp.com/vagrant/2.3.7/ does not
distribute the source code.

> Otherwise, how about if you redistribute Vagrant 2.3.7's tar ball?

I could put the source.tar on www.gnu.org/s/parallel

I do not expect that tar would get many hits.

/Ole