parallel

Re: Use of Vagrant in tests poses licencing question

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Use of Vagrant in tests poses licencing question
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:25:59 -0500

  > I think a solution that adheres to POLA would be to check if Vagrant
  > is installed and if not install version 2.3.7.

I don't recognize the name POLA
but that solution sounds good to me.

  > > Is there a place that distributes Vagrant 2.3.7's tar ball
  > > without requiring the user to run Javascript code?  You could link to
that.

  > The binary is on: https://releases.hashicorp.com/vagrant/2.3.7/ which
  > I probably would use in the script above.

  > However, https://releases.hashicorp.com/vagrant/2.3.7/ does not
  > distribute the source code.

That is not good.

  > I could put the source.tar on www.gnu.org/s/parallel

Please do that.

Is it NECESSARY to distribute the Vagrant binary?
Would it be ok for people to build from source?a
How many different platforms require different Vagrant binaries?

After that is dealt with, could you please inform the people who work
on directory.fsf.org about the change in the situation of Vagrant?
We need to stop linking to the place that distributes nonfree versions
of Vagrant.