qemu-devel

Re: Help wanted for enabling -Wshadow=local

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: Help wanted for enabling -Wshadow=local
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:59:29 -0600

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 11:49 AM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sept 2023 at 18:43, Daniel Henrique Barboza
<danielhb413@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you publish your branch with the current -Wshadow=local patches in
> gitlab/github? I'm hitting (and fixing) a lot of errors that aren't listed
> here, meaning they're either fixed already in your local branch or needs to
> be fixed.

Markus sent an email with the git branch, but it doesn't seem to have
reached the list, perhaps because it also included a 10,000 line
build log and probably hit the length limit... Anyway, to quote
him from that email (which I got because of a direct CC):

> Pushed to https://repo.or.cz/qemu/armbru.git branch shadow-next.  I'll
> keep collecting shadow patches there, and I'll rebase as needed.

I have 3 changes for bsd-user. Two are trivial, hardly worth commenting on.

The third one, though, makes me ask the question: When should we pass in cpu_env to functions and when should we use the global value?

I have a lot of changes that look like:

-static inline abi_long do_freebsd_thr_exit(CPUArchState *cpu_env,
+static inline abi_long do_freebsd_thr_exit(CPUArchState *env,
         abi_ulong tid_addr)
 {
-    CPUState *cpu = env_cpu(cpu_env);
+    CPUState *cpu = env_cpu(env);
     TaskState *ts;
<other cases of cpu_env -> env>

Should I just drop the arg, or do the arg rename? Or "Gee, Warner, that really depends since it's context sensitive" in which case I'll just post a review to the list.

Warner