qemu-devel

Re: On integrating LoongArch EDK2 firmware into QEMU build process

From: WANG Xuerui
Subject: Re: On integrating LoongArch EDK2 firmware into QEMU build process
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 04:16:23 +0800

On 3/31/23 08:54, maobibo wrote:
Xuerui,

Thanks for your mail, it is a good suggestion. Now we are planing to move
LoongArch uefi bios from edk2-platform to edk2 repo, so that uefi bios
supporting LoongArch can be auto compiled and uploaded to qemu repo. Only that
process is somwhat slow since lacking of hands, however we are doing this.

Pinging: a few months have passed, and it seems this work is stalled? Given the LoongArch Linux KVM support is about to land in v6.7, it may be time to prepare the firmware and QEMU side of things, so users would no longer have to manually acquire the firmware blobs whenever they fire up their VMs.

Regards
Bibo, Mao

在 2023/3/30 22:06, WANG Xuerui 写道:
Hi,

Recently there are reportedly increased general interest in trying out
LoongArch on top of QEMU, among both end users and organizations; and the EDK2
firmware port is fully upstreamed since the stable202211 version, and a build
suitable for QEMU is already possible with Platform/Loongson/LoongArchQemuPkg
in edk2-platforms. I think providing pre-built LoongArch firmware would make it
much easier to dabble in system emulation, helping those users. (They currently
have to pull a blob from yangxiaojuan/qemu-binary, and remember to pair certain
version of QEMU with certain revision of the firmware blob. I'm also one of the
users who can't remember which version to use, but I can always build my own;
imagine the difficulty an end user would face!)

So I tried to add a LoongArch build to the list stored in roms/, but discovered
that edk2-platforms seems not included, because all other platforms' EDK2
packages are directly under the main edk2 repo.

The question is: is integrating a platform package from edk2-platforms okay
under the current build system, so we can arrange to provide edk2-platforms
also as a submodule and go ahead? Or do we (the LoongArch firmware community)
have to change the code organization to make necessary parts available in the
main edk2 repo?

CC-ing target/loongarch maintainers from Loongson too as you may have more
information.