social

Re: [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 16:35:45 +0100

On onsĀ   2 jan 2013 15:16:17, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's certainly a nice idea -- I actually think that PHP is still a
> useful distinction as I'm still wary of ease of installation and
> deployment of web-applications. We should make GNU social as easy to
> install as WordPress.

A good goal indeed, though one should remember that contrary to Wordpress the
realtime/push nature of StatusNet implies some nastier background processing.

Nevertheless I believe using activitystreams as a base level would help
regardless of language.

A lot of work aligned with this was already put into this by StatusNet Inc.
when implementing OStatus and AtomPub. The parts I think should be modified are
some "core" functionality (that should actually just be Activities), such as
notes (notices), favorites, shares (repeats) and such.

They can even be brought out from core and put into plugins. Making it easier
to extend and modify. (something I prefer and thus would argue is better than
to maintain backwards compatibility with many unused plugins)