social

Re: [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [Social] More internal use of ActivityStreams?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 18:30:22 +0100

On ons   2 jan 2013 17:24:27, Melvin Carvalho <address@hidden> wrote:
> OK, I would suggest you're in a minority there.

Me and BuddyCloud then. We're a lonely bunch.

Other than that, Pump.io uses activitystreams in json. Friendica of course has
the OStatus implementation with Activities in Atom just like StatusNet. And
it's pretty much semantically identical to Facebook's timelines/feeds.

So. Running code.

> > APIs and similar specs are AFAIK not subject to copyrights or patents,
> > following the result of lawsuits like Oracle vs. Google on the Dalvik
> > engine.
> >

> I would like to understand this more.   Do you have a pointer.

"In May 2012 the jury in this case found that Google did not infringe on
Oracle's patents, and the trial judge ruled that the structure of the Java APIs
used by Google was not copyrightable."
 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_(software)#Licensing_and_patents

Implementing the contents of ActivityStreams is reasonably even less of an
infringement. Either way I don't think lawyers should restrict the federated
social web.

> Do you think you could persuade activity streams to come under a non
> proprietary license?

I thought the Open Web Foundation agreement meant developers in general can use
the specification. If there are any restrictions that cause trouble for a free
software project it would be good if you could specify them.