social

Re: [Social] [GNU/consensus] More internal use of ActivityStreams?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social] [GNU/consensus] More internal use of ActivityStreams?
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 21:33:26 +0100

On 2 January 2013 21:32, hellekin (GNU Consensus) <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/02/2013 04:48 PM, Rob Myers wrote:

> Coding for N different protocols on N different servers is not a better
> use of time than just building support for the leading protocol.

*** I agree that OStatus has a hand in the game, and it's mentioned in
the GNU/consensus manifesto as the main protocol to follow. But I
disagree that the leadership position is enough to ignore other
alternatives.

Tent.io, to mention only one, seems promising. OStatus itself is a set
of protocols to solve a number of issues, and could as well integrate
new ones. Consider SMTP, IRC, and XMPP: they all do some sort of
federation. There is no single truth, and not considering diversity
won't lead anywhere, IMO.

Yes, exactly!

==
hk