social

[Social] Started applying stuff to branch 1.1.x

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: [Social] Started applying stuff to branch 1.1.x
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:06:51 +0200

Hulloh list,
pardon I CC this very development-related post on the -discuss list. But
I figure it's good to show that we're alive :)

I've recently started applying patches and merge requests to the 1.1.x
branch of GNU Social over at
http://gitorious.org/+socialites/statusnet/gnu-social/commits/1.1.x

I suppose it will merge into the master branch quite soon and then
eventually be tipped into http://gitorious.org/social so GNU Social is
no longer a sub-project of StatusNet. All git commits will of course
come along with that.

One of the things I've done is update the PEAR DB_DataObject class to
1.11.2, which essentially removes any PHP4 support (if there ever was any).

Also, the DB_DataObject extended classes now don't all implement their
own staticGet function, they now use a new staticGet parent function in
our Managed_DataObject class - which makes a call to get_called_class():
http://php.net/get_called_class

The dependency on get_called_class() further demolishes any support for
archaic PHP versions, leaving us with a dependency on >= 5.3.0. So much
for anything older than that :)

I believe it is a good idea to rapidly move away from anything earlier
than PHP 5.3, and set a concrete aim for full PHP 5.4 compatibility as
soon as possible.

In the spirit of moving onwards, jbfavre's 5.4-fixes have been applied
from http://gitorious.org/statusnet/mainline/merge_requests/230 to the
previously mentioned 1.1.x branch of GNU Social.
jbfavre has also identified several external libraries which probably
should be updated in our repository, which can be seen over at
http://gitorious.org/~jbfavre/statusnet/jbfavre-fixes/commits/php54

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
http://blog.mmn-o.se/