swarm-announce

The Weekly Pheromone Volume II, Issue 7

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: The Weekly Pheromone Volume II, Issue 7
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:54:37 -0600

                         The Weekly Pheromone
                          Volume 2, Issue 7
                          April 22, 1997

   The Pheromone will stand to inform users of the activities and
goals of the hive and user community.  Contributions are accepted that
announce Swarm-related events or activities in any of the growing
Swarm colonies around the world.  To contribute, send e-mail to
address@hidden  The Pheromone is mailed out on Tuesday (or....
maybe Wednesday) if and only if there is information to be
disseminated.

Table of Contents
-----------------

   I.  Nonprofit Swarm.org Plans
  II.  Plans for Version 1.0.2

   I.  Nonprofit Swarm.org Plans

   Well, the plans are continuing.  Since we got very little feedback
on the plans in the last Pheromone, we're going to just put on our
"leadership hats" and do things in a way that we think will ensure the
continued existence and quality of Swarm.  If anybody wants to help,
please let us know!

   One question that seems relevant is the following.  If there were a
"membership" style organization that provided general funding for the
Swarm program, what size and of what type would a member of that
organization be?  For example, if a few people in one division of a
large company had the opportunity to become members of the Swarm.org,
would they purchase a membership for the entire company, just their
division, or just their group?  The same question applies for
universities.  If 10 people at the University of California want to be
members of the organization, do they purchase a membership for all of
UC, just the branch in their city (e.g. UCLA), just their branches
dept., etc.?

   Note that I'm not talking about purchasing support contracts,
contracting with the .org for specific deliverables, or contributing
to level of effort funds.  I'm strictly referring to the price of
membership in a consortium style organization, where the proceeds from
those dues would go to overhead, integration, and design tasks
performed by the staff of the .org.

   Any thoughts?

  II.  Plans for Version 1.0.2

   We are planning the contents of a Swarm 1.0.2 as:

   - Default probe creation bug fix
   - Tk Frame drop bug fix
   - BLTGraph drop bug fix
   - getHeight & getWidth additions to ZoomRaster
   - DEC Unix Alpha compatibility

   I suspect we will be able to get this out this week or next.

                              =========

The Swarm Pheromone is created by the members of the Swarm project at
the Santa Fe Institute.  For more information on the Swarm Project,
see http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm.  Comments, corrections, and
contributions should be sent to address@hidden