swarm-announce

A Java tutorial

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: A Java tutorial
Date: 11 Jun 2000 16:57:04 -0700

Hey folks,

I've put up a new Swarm tutorial for Java on the SDG website.  This
one includes a fair amount of introductory material on complex
adaptive systems, and a longish line-by-line discussion of a new Java
model.  The model is a multilevel Swarm simulation of some of the
folks in the Swarm Development Group.  :-)

It turned out to be too much material to present in a single full-day
class (and some of it is denser that it seemed when I wrote it, *sigh*).
However, I think it should serve as a useful as an offline reference.  I'll
expect to improve the material over time.  Input is welcome, of course!

Anyway, the tutorial is at:

  http://www.swarm.org/csss-tutorial/frames.html

and the model is at:

  ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/eval/SDG-0.0.tar.gz

P.S. The model may also be interesting to Objective C users as we
don't have a lot of examples of Swarms-in-Swarms-in-Swarms or
non-trivial agents as Swarms.