swarm-support

Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:10:58 -0700

Anju Dahiya wrote:

By the way I need your answer to fill the just started MAS FAQs topic: Is agent based modeling a dodgy scientific activity?

I didn't actually say that. What I said is that my perception is that there appear to be a number of important scientists that don't regard it highly. Personally I think is that the advocacy of ABM is tiresome -- if a person believes it has value, she should use it to guide her thinking and exploration and analysis and find a way to present the results that come out of it in such a way they are fit for consumption by her scientific community. In this way, she has a tool that others her competitors do not, and can thus gain status! See, it's actually better! Simulations are great for creating unexpected results. So collect a bunch of unexpected results, find a subset that can be analyzed down using conventional reductionistic techniques, and write paper after paper that elaborating on a new hypothesis, all while knowing the answer that will come out. Just don't tell.