synaptic-devel

Re: How to download the source package for a software inside repository?

From: Dedeco Balaco
Subject: Re: How to download the source package for a software inside repository?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 10:47:26 -0300

Em 23/09/2021 17:57, John Jason Jordan escreveu:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:44:31 -0300
Dedeco Balaco <dedeco.balaco@yahoo.com> dijo:

Hello. Using synaptic, how to download the source package for a
software downloaded from a repository used by synaptic?

I searched all the packages with the name of an open source project,
and no package contain its source code. As an example, i tried to find
claws-mail program source code inside the Debian repository where i
downloaded and installed it using synaptic. Is it possible? How?
Not sure if this will help, but check your repository selections. One
of them is Source Code, so make sure it is selected, and if you had to
select it be sure to reload the repository list.

Thank you for the suggestion, John. I rechecked my repositories in synaptic. I found a few things:

1. There are 4 disabled repositories, but i choose to keep them as this, for now:

deb     https://repo.skype.com/deb/          stable
deb     https://linux.teamviewer.com/deb/    stable
deb     https://linux.teamviewer.com/deb/    preview
deb     https://linux.teamviewer.com/deb/    development

2. One other third party repository, but this one was and will continue enabled:

deb     http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/  stable

Here, should i change "stable" to "bullseye" here, if i do not pretend to update to the next LTS Debian release, as soon as it is launched? I plan to keep my bullseye for more time, since Debian supports this safely. This is not a question for this list, fine, but if you know the answer, why not? I will check it in a Vivaldi forum too.

4. Now, comes the last repositories, which are the Debian contents. In the first 4, two of them are disabled, two enabled. I do this because the 2 disabled for me had trouble, some time ago, and then i changed to the other ones.

[v]  deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   bullseye     non-free contrib main
[v]  deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye     non-free contrib main
[ ]  deb     http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/   bullseye     non-free contrib main
[ ]  deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ bullseye     non-free contrib main

5. After these, comes other 6 lines, the last ones. Again, the last 4 are similar, just for the problem i had before.

[v]  deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/   bullseye-security
    non-free contrib main
[v]  deb-src  http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/   bullseye-security
     non-free contrib main
[v]  deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   bullseye-updates     non-free contrib main
[v]  deb-src  http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates
     non-free contrib main
[ ]  deb     http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/   bullseye-updates     non-free contrib main
[ ]  deb-src  http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates
     non-free contrib main

With the repositories set exactly as i show here, i asked synaptic to reload the packages information. And then i searched for "synaptic". There are only 3 results: synaptic, xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-dev.

As another example, i search for "quarry" (a program from Debian Games Team to play a few games) and find just one package, with this exact name. No source package.

I do not understand.