Re: [Taler] Tor Browser

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] Tor Browser
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 00:44:28 +0200

On Wed, 2016-06-01 at 23:27 +0200, Christian Grothoff wrote:
On 06/01/2016 10:37 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > Could this help make Taler work with NO Javascript?
> >
> > It is a bad thing to make a user run a program that
> > comes straight off someone else's server!
>
> I think this is something Jeff and Florian could try to take into the
> W3c discussions. If the W3c standardizes a way without JS to trigger a
> Web payment, that would be great.

There are actually threads about different forms of the API.  At least
someone wanted a not-so-javascript sounding form.  I'll take a look and
give a thumbs up if I find it.

> However, until browsers do support such a standard, I think the only
> reasonable choice we have is to require JavaScript to be enabled.

I cannot currently endorse or argue against the W3C payments group's
proposed standard, too big, close calls on privacy matters, influence
from questionable corners, etc.  It'll be a mess even if it winds up
being safe.  Are web standards often safe?

I'm no fan of javascript, but a simple clean security focused standard
might be preferable, even if it depends upon javascript.

Jeff