Re: [Taler] Business model and banking license

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] Business model and banking license
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 04:01:04 +0100

On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 21:29 +0100, Oliver Endrikat wrote:
> What makes us hope, that this kind of exchange can operate on less
> fees than the normal bank with its SEPA kind payments transfers?

Taler allocates risks differently than Credit Cards or SEPA.

Customer incur significant identity theft risk with SEPA, perhaps less
with debit cards, and certainly less with credit cards, but cards cost
much more.

Customers incur *no* identity theft risk from Taler itself, so they can
buy from anybody.  Instead, customers risk loosing only the coins they
withdrew into their wallet if they loose their computer, get hacked,
etc.  We believe customers can manage this "wallet value risk" far
better than identity theft risks.

Merchants incur significant risks when handle customer financial
information, but merchants never need such information with Taler.  In
fact, merchants do not even need their customers name when providing
digital goods, or shipping to a home address that does not require a
name.

As Christian said, there is no way to be cheaper than SEPA per se, but
we can enable transactions that are unthinkable with SEPA, especially
buying online content from unknown producers, like say porn.

Jeff