Re: [Taler] Hello

From: Joerg Baach
Subject: Re: [Taler] Hello
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 11:30:56 +0100

Hi Christian,

sorry for only replying now - your question got somehow lost, and I
discovered it only now, for which I apologize.

The link I sent you to the description of opencoin is the latest
description, an matches the latest implementation of the prototype (the
examples are all 'real'). It is basically what we have.
As you can tell, the project is quite dormant atm, as you rightfully
observed in the taler-draft.pdf.

Speaking of which: in mapping2016 you mention that the paper (I assume
in a less draft version) is available upon request. May I have a copy?

The reason is that I try to understand the taler system. The idea of the
coin being a key pair is quite interesting to me, and I'd like to
understand how exactly it works - but between taler-draft and the other
2016 papers I have seen I am not quite sure if I have understood the
current state of the protocol.

Also, if I may use this opportunity to ask two questions:

1) If the merchant has a rather unusual price for a rare item, the user
pays for it, and refreshes the dirty coin after that - wouldn't the
unusual reminder of the coin provide at least hints to trace the
transaction?

2) Regarding the contract (fascinating idea as well): I assume the idea
is to use the contract in the case of a dispute with a judge etc. How do
you / the customer / the judge link the key to a real entity, ideally
the right one?

Also, thank you for doing the project, quite happy to see it getting
exposure!

Cheers,

  Joerg