Re: [Taler] Website update

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Website update
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 03:02:08 +0100

On 03/13/2017 09:55 PM, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my first spontaneous impression: This looks like a funeral home.
>
> No offence meant, but the logo was looking somewhat like a crucifix
> already. Now also the web.site decoration is black in white. IMHO the
> front-page is in urgent need of some colour. (I'd also suggest to
> redesign the logo, but I assume somebody's heart is hanging on this
> one.)

Well, the logo was improved and Florian did manage to sneak in some
color. But yes, I do like it, certainly much more than any of the
constructive alternative proposals that have been made to me so far.

> I'm not a designer, so I can't provide a proposal. Sorry. But hey,
> what about making the logo a shining gold coin?

I'm generally open to suggestions, and if someone wants to propose a
better color scheme, the CSS is in Git and I'd totally happy to get even
nicer designs that also are rich in contrast, work on mobile, work
without JavaScript, etc.  I'm myself color-handicapped, so I should
definitively not be the judge for colors.

That said, gold will happen only over my dead body.  The correct
associations with gold are mercury mining and blood diamonds.  For
Bitcoin (where good associations include coal energy plants and open pit
coal mining), gold is a good color.  Gold also suggests that the
economic ideas of fiat money and money supply management might not be
appreciated, which again often applies to crypto currency communities
but should really not apply to us. So gold gets my veto (do I have a
veto?), everything else I'm open to.

> BTW: The logo needs the letters converted to splines. Without that the
> test is scattered, see image.

What image?