[Taler] Help with translating GNU Taler (i18n)

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [Taler] Help with translating GNU Taler (i18n)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:01:10 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to have the GNU Taler documentation and software
available in many languages, and after the recent efforts of
simplifying the language on the main Web site it is now time that we
resume our efforts to get the Web site internationalized.  What
follows are instructions translators can follow to help.

0) You should let us know. Translation is too much work to
   be duplicated, so we will maintain a list of translators
   for each language and enable you to:
   - get in touch with each other if you work on the same
     language
   - learn from us if there are changes to the text that
     require updates to the translation
   Thus, your first step should be to send an e-mail to
   address@hidden with the target language
   that you want to help translate to.  We will then
   introduce you to the other translators (if any).
   [Note to admins: see /etc/aliases and all should be clear.]

   We will be happy to give translators credit by listing
   them on the taler.net about page.  If you want to appear
   there, please let us know so, and under which name/pseudonym.

1) You need a text editor. vi, emacs, gedit are all OK,
   LibreOffice is not.  There are also specialized
   "po" editors, like https://poedit.net/ or
   http://www.gted.org/. For KDE there is KBable and
   for Gnome Gtranslator.  There is of course an
   Emacs mode:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/PO-Mode.html#PO-Mode

   They all work, pick what works for you.

2) You need to download the current file with the
   strings to be translated.  The "latest" version the
   developers have for the Web site is at

   https://git.taler.net/www.git/tree/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po

   replace "en" with your target language (it/es/fr/de),
   or use the "en" version if your target language does
   not yet exist.

3) Edit the "po" file using your editor.  A 'po'-file consists
   of ""-delimited msgid strings in English, followed by (initially
   empty) ""-delimited msgstr-translations in the target language.
   The "#"-line indicates the origin of the translation, which
   may be useful for you to identify context.
   If the English text changed _slightly_ since your last
   translation, the translation will be marked as "fuzzy".

   More comprehensive documentation on 'po'-files is here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/PO-Files.html#PO-Files

4) You can pass the "messages.po" file around via e-mail
   within your translation team, or if you are able to use
   Git, you can send us your SSH public key and we will
   give you write access so you can directly
   work against the main repository.

   (Simple tutorial is here

https://www.systutorials.com/366/set-up-git-server-through-ssh-connection/
   you would, however, not copy (cp) id_rsa.pub but instead
   e-mail it to us, and you would skip the "First commit" steps.)

   If nobody in your translation team has Git-ability, you can
   alternatively send updates to address@hidden
   whenever they are ready. It is not necessary that the work is
   complete, intermediate results are fine, too.

Happy hacking!

Christian