Re: [Taler] Support for payer-trustlessness and merchant-auditing

From: Rune K. Svendsen
Subject: Re: [Taler] Support for payer-trustlessness and merchant-auditing
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 14:18:09 +0200

Hi Jeff,

You cannot naively use multi-signature bitcoin wallets with Taler
because they would break the anonymity and increase costs.

Can you expand on this a bit? What I don't understand is that if we assume that the customer starts out by sending funds to the exchange's Bitcoin address (non-multisignature) as an initial deposit, surely it would need to reference this account/address when later making payments, otherwise the exchange wouldn't be able to know whether the customer in question actually has any funds to spend, right?

As far as I can see, each individual payment from the customer needs to reference some initial deposit -- from which the payment spends -- but I don't see how referencing a single-signature account is any less anonymity-breaking than referencing a multi-signature account.

Can you clarify?

Thanks!
    /Rune