Re: [Taler] Synchronization and backup

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] Synchronization and backup
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 06:43:42 +0100

On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 05:17 +0100, Florian Dold wrote:
> Basically everybody with an iPhone or (non-rooted) Android phone is
> using some backup/sync functionality, at least for address books.

Just some quick searches suggest there are at least twice as many
Android phones as Google accounts, so many people skip configuring
accounts.  Afaik Google does not automatically sync address books even
if you do configure an account, but maybe it asks you if you want it.

Just fyi, low end android phones frequently come with manufacturer's
installers, games, etc., making the google play store less essential.

> I would not consider Dropbox for power-users at all, I've e.g. seen it
> in use at universities by people very far away from CS.

I said "basically power users".. you said "universities".

As I said, it's actually the key material, non-standard passwords, etc.
that only advanced users can move between devices.

> [syncing] is something normal users today expect and know from the
> software they already use.

Young people observe their accounts syncing their data, while stealing
it, but older people do not understand it.  You're talking about almost
purely contributory syncing operations, while an account balance moves
in two directions.  Also, we do see complaints about corner cases in
even this syncing, like people complaining about contacts they dislike
showing up somewhere like whatsapp.

We want to teach people that Taler acts like cash but with receipts.  We
do not want thinking Taler is some magical account for which they can
call customer service and get their money back after their phone gets
stolen, complain about a merchant, etc.

Jeff