Re: [Taler] Synchronization and backup

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Synchronization and backup
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:05:11 +0100

Florian,

I think we're not that far apart here.  Jeff and I agreed that to avoid
double-spending, it would be good to 'tag' coins by the device-ID of the
device that withdrew the coins.  Then, if another device is sync'ed (or
the backup is restored to a different device), we know about the danger
of these coins being used at the same time at another device.

At this point, we have three options:
1) warn the user, ask if this is an 'accidental' sync;
2) allow the user to manually re-tag coins to the new device,
effectively shifting the available balance between devices (the sync
would then communicate the change of device ID of those coins to the
other device)
3) automatically do (2), maybe trying to balance the coins between the
different devices (so each device owns 1/n of the overall balance). When
a device spends coins, it first uses the coins it owns, and then starts
to re-tag ("steal") coins from the other devices (effectively
rebalancing the remaining balance).  That _minimizes_ the chance of
accidental double-spending without the user being involved at all (!).

Now, (1) seems unproblematic from a usability point of view (simply
telling the user that this is a new device in the sync group and
checking that he _intends_ this is one Y/N question upon first sync, and
I can see how it may help prevent problems. Naturally, I don't quite
know how severe/frequent those problems are, but for now a Y/N question
is not something I'd say is a bad feature without more data. And, it's
easy to remove if we find out it is a real problem.

(2) is clearly a usability issue, complex UX, difficult concepts. Here
your critique of Jeff applies, but I could imagine this being a valid
thing to implement for a Wallet 1.x for power/Tor users.

(3) if done right has no implications at all for the user experience,
it's 100% behind the scenes. It may not satisfy Jeff as there are no
guarantees (only reduced probabilities depending on transaction amounts
in relation to balance carried), but as it reduces the chances of /pay
failures and higher latency transactions due to re-tried /pay
operations, it's mostly an implementation-effort issue. So you could
argue that 0.9 is too ambitious and we should leave it for 1.x, but I am
not sure it is that much work.

My 2 cents

Christian