[Taler] Zcash trusted setup bug

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: [Taler] Zcash trusted setup bug
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:22:52 +0100

There was an interesting trusted setup bug that ZCash fixed in their Sapling
upgrade, which they now explained:

https://z.cash/blog/zcash-counterfeiting-vulnerability-successfully-remediated/
via https://twitter.com/zooko/status/1092814766979145729

I’ll remind everyone that Monero also had an infinite inflation attack, due to
a cofactor bug, which they caught and fixed.

I believe zerocoin has an implementation, but if a similar bug gets found
there, then Taler could wind up being be the only payment scheme with strong
anonymity scheme deployed without serious soundness bugs.

There are other private payment schemes like QuisQuis or MimbleWimble, but
afaik they cannot provide strong anonymity without cover transactions, which
sounds unlikely.

Jeff