Re: [Taler] scritcash?

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [Taler] scritcash?
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 23:43:32 +0100

I think scrit looks amateur hour honestly.

In particular, the paper they cite for "blind ECDSA” signatures is only the
most superficial outline of the two classical blind signature constructions:
RSA and Schnorr, note *not* ECDSA.
https://research.ijcaonline.org/volume71/number19/pxc3889467.pdf

It’s clear scrit means the old blind Schnorr signature when they say blind
ECDSA.  Blind Schnorr requires like three round trips, which complicates your
protocol over RSA, but whatever.

Worse, Wagner’s algorithm (2002) provides a forgery attack against these blind
Schnorr signatures, meaning scrit coins can be forged.  Concretely, you can
extract 16 coins from 15 withdrawals with a computational complexity like 2^55,
not sure the optimal attacks though.  A satisfactory fix was only announced
this year:  https://eprint.iacr.org/2019/877.pdf

Interestingly the blind Schnorr fix vaguely resembles Taler’s refresh, so it
works out like making withdrawal as complex as refresh, and then adding the
extra round trip required by Schnorr to both, not ideal but doable and it’d
reduce Taler's computational costs.

Jeff

Just fyi ECDSA is a cluster fuck that cryptographers hate.  We’ve only started
producing “interesting” constructions like blind signatures using ECDSA
recently, primarily for use on bitcoin, ethereum, etc.
https://eprint.iacr.org/2018/660.pdf  And insecure combinations should exist,
meaning these scheme’s compossibility often sucks.